Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Espresso Buttercream
Dark chocolate cupcakes, here we come!!!
Another day comes to an end, and boy am I POOPED!!! I kid you not, I am sitting in front of my computer after about 12 hours of nonstop toddler duty, pigging out on a donut cinnamon roll about the size of my face..lol.
Serenity now, insanity later…and lucky me…it will all begin again in about T-minus 11 hours…unfortunately, not the cinnamon roll…just the kid duty 🙂
No complaints here though, I LOVE MY LIFE! And, I am in LOVE with this cupcake!!! I have been searching for a super rich, super moist, dark chocolate cupcake for what seems like forever!!!
I am not huge into developing baking recipes, so I always search around on Pinterest looking for desserts that catch my eye (THERE ARE A LOT!!!!). These dark chocolate cupcakes caught my attention real fast!
What cupcake caught my eye you say??? This chocolate cupcake was discovered after I came across a blog called browneyedbaker and her recipe for The Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake. Boy oh boy, did it live up to it’s name!!! This is the bee’s knees folks!!! The actual cake part of the cupcake is the darkest, richest, moistest, chocolatiest (I know, not a word) cupcake I’ve ever tasted (I’ve tasted LOTS!). Every sweet tooth in my mouth stood up and applauded and shouted MORE MORE MORE!!!!
After you scoop the dark, thick batter into your liners, you plop down a rounded teaspoon of ganache right on top as pictured below.
The ganache bakes right down into the middle of the cupcake, like the picture below. This picture was taken right after the cupcakes came out of my HOT oven. See how that ganache sinks right down in there?? A little chocolate pool ready for me to dive head first into 🙂
I mean, just look at how dark that cupcake is!! That puppy is RICH!!! As I type this, my mouth is watering, no joke…haha!
I didn’t use the frosting from the browneyedbaker blog…even though I’m sure it’s amazing. I instead opted for a standby buttercream I have used in the past…and personally LOVE. This buttercream is very basic, except for the addition of instant espresso powder. I am a coffee loving addict (sometimes 2 pots a day crazy) and this buttercream is my passion people!!
Talk about the best combo ever!!
Dark chocolate + Espresso buttercream + a big old hot black coffee = HEAVEN
If I ever go to prison, or have to choose a last dessert…this is it!!! It’s that good!!! I’m telling you, make this, make this, MAKE THIS!! You will be soooooooooooooooooo insanely glad you did 🙂
I will dole out one little tip, and that is…if you cannot find dutch process cocoa in your local supermarket, or wherever you do your thang, try this one from Hershey’s. It’s their SPECIAL DARK COCOA BLEND. I buy it at Walmart and it’s like $5.00 for a huge container. This isn’t a sponsored tip or anything, it’s just me preachin’…the chocolatey flavor it produces is hard to beat!!! Get some!!
Happy, happy, happy Valentine’s to you and your families and kiddies!! I hope it’s a day full of love and thankfulness for each other!! I know that I am sooooo grateful for my husband, my son, my two dogs, and all of my amazing extended family!!!….And, these dark chocolate cupcakes 🙂
I hope you get to bake these and share them with your family real soon!!
Remember to check out the blog browneyedbaker. There are seriously so many inspired goodies on her blog! I can’t wait to test out some more of them and report my findings. If this cupcake is any indicator, I’m sure they’re all off the charts good!
Happy baking guys!!! 🙂
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ¾ cup hot coffee
- ¾ cup bread flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- 4 Tbsp whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- Make the Ganache Filling: Place the chopped chocolate, heavy cream and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Heat in the microwave on high power until the mixture is warm to the touch, 20 to 30 seconds. Whisk until smooth, then refrigerate until just barely chilled, no longer than 30 minutes.
- Make the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard-size muffin pan with liners. Place the chopped chocolate and cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Pour the hot coffee over the mixture and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate mixture for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk the oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla extract into the cooled chocolate mixture until smooth. Add the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin pan cups. Place one slightly rounded teaspoon of ganache filling on top of each cupcake. Bake until the cupcakes are set and just firm to the touch, 17 to 19 minutes. Cool the cupcakes in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the pan and place on the wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- MAKE THE BUTTERCREAM (yields enough for 12 cupcakes)
- Beat butter until softened.
- Dissolve espresso powder into whole milk and add to mixer, along with the salt and powdered sugar. Beat until light and fluffy about 3 minutes. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and decorate away!!
- Cupcakes can be stored in the fridge about 2-3 days.