Arugula & Prosciutto Winter Salad with Garlic Croutons
A salad for the winter.
So I am a HUGE salad freak. Nothing beats a summer salad with seasonal fruit and cheese, or a cozy winter salad with grains and vegetables. I love them hot with wilted spinach, drizzled liberally with bacon flecked vinaigrette. Herbed croutons? Count me in. What I’m saying is, I can eat a salad everyday and never get bored.
In the winter when fruit choices are minimal, I turn to this salad. Bitter arugula paired with tangy goat cheese, sweet pears, salty fried prosciutto, and garlic croutons brings the colors of summer into my winter kitchen. Being that I live in California, winter weather conditions ain’t that bad, and yes, I do wear sweaters and gloves when it’s in the 50’s.
The salad is drizzled in a tangy vinaigrette with punches of flavor from two of my favorite kitchen staples, the shallot and dijon mustard.
Designing my new site with CANVA rocks
Since this is a new blog for me, and I am basically trying to learn 5 million new things to get this puppy up and running, I turned to my pal the salad and found the much needed solace and comfort I was looking for.
The world of blogging is pretty intimidating, but even more so is the technical end of setting up a website. I am a bit of a perfectionist, type A nut job at times, and this site build is making me do all kinds of crazy stuff. I feel like I’m being sucked into a new world…and I love it. One amazing site I landed on in my research, and one that I would recommend to anyone struggling to create custom looking photos is canva. I landed on the canva site a frustrated and confused sack of disappointment and despair. After what seemed like countless hours of fruitless and crap design, canva quickly enabled me to design my own logo (beaming with pride). Thank you canva!
Now, go do yourself a favor and make this salad!!
- 1 16 oz bag of arugula
- 4 oz Prosciutto, sliced
- 1/4 goat cheese crumbles
- 1 ripe pear, diced medium
- 1/2 olive oil
- 1/4 white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp dijon
- 1 small shallot, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 slices of gourmet sandwich bread, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tbps olive oil
- 1-2 Tbps butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake vigorously, set aside.
- Heat olive and butter in a skillet (cast iron rocks) over medium low heat. Add bread cubes once butter foams and sizzles and toss to coat in the fats. Let them brown, stirring occasionally until they are crispy to your liking. Taste those babies! Once done, add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds and season with salt & pepper. Set aside on a towel lined plate. Wipe that skillet out and place over medium low heat and crispy the prosciutto for a couple minutes and remove from heat.
- Toss the arugula with some of your vinaigrette and plate. Sprinkle with your crispy prosciutto, crumbled goats cheese, diced pears, and crispy croutons. Drizzle a bit more vinaigrette and enjoy!